So I just got back from a wonderful weekend away in Orlando at the Shameless Book Convention. I want to say that if you haven’t been to a book convention yet, and you love to read, you need to go.
Shameless is an extremely large event and if you haven’t been to a book convention, you may be overwhelmed, try to go with a friend who has gone before or get with someone who can “teach you the ropes”. I went alone last year and had a blast. They have solo traveler meet ups, and there is a Facebook group that you can join that will have you meeting people before the event as well. The people are so friendly, talkative and wonderful. I meet new friends every year and love going.
This was my second year going to Shameless, and I will say it was more productive for me in the author meeting category because I sort of knew what I was doing. Swag is in abundance, and each and every author is so friendly and welcoming it is great. I was also invited to a Blogger breakfast with representatives from Lelo (pronounced lay-lo). I will be sharing links with you about it because let me tell you– I’m not going to push adult toys at you, but I will share my affiliate link in case you want to browse them and maybe purchase. They are the Ferrari of toys– totally worth the investment (no I’m not paid to say those things either) TRUST ME.. I speak from experience. LOL
I thought I would give you what I believe are some good tips for heading to a book convention, whether it be Shameless or another large convention.
- Read as many of the authors as possible. I started in July of this year and got through a huge amount of them before the event. It helps you by 1. knowing who some of the authors are, and 2 gives you a little something to talk to them about. Also leave reviews on every book you read. Authors will notice, I promise they do read your reviews.
- Follow, stalk, and chat with authors online– follow them on Goodreads, Amazon, Instagram, Facebook and join their reader groups also if you liked their work.
- PRE-ORDER books!!!! Sometimes they are cheaper when you pre-order, or you get some kind of exclusive swag. Plus, the big bonus in my case –you can spread the $$ out for the books over time and it won’t hurt your pocket as much, at least in my case.
- Wear comfy clothes to the actual signing. With all the people, it is hot inside. Plus you want shoes that are comfortable on your feet– you will be on them for hours.
- Buy VIP if the option is there and you can afford it- it is usually an all inclusive ticket that will get you into all of the events without an extra charge. Plus, you usually get better swag bags and you get early entry into the signing events.
- Join the attendee group on Facebook for the event you are going to. You will always get up to date information and you can start chatting with people and get to know them. Also, sometimes there are giveaways and who doesn’t like those???
- Bring your own alcohol LOL!!! The bars at the hotels are expensive especially if you like to drink… I mean seriously $9 or more for a mixed drink– who has the money for that?? I mean I can spend that $$ on books!!!! 🙂
- Bring cash, or have a Paypal account set up. In order to purchase books at the tables cash works best, especially if WiFi is sketchy. With cash you don’t have to worry about it, and NO they don’t take checks 🙂
- Have Fun and be social!! The signing isn’t just just about the books. There is a huge social element to it. Be a butterfly for the weekend and have a great time. Step out of your comfort zone a little bit.
I don’t have a favorite part of Shameles 2018, because I enjoyed it all. Check out next years event. It is happening October 18-20 at the Hilton at Walt Disney World… Yes Y’all– we are heading to Disney– getting our smutty princess on!! I can’t wait.
Here are some of my pictures from Shameless 2018. It was a great time— Hope to see you there next year!!!
EDIT!!! So apparently Google and WordPress has left out 2 of my favorites from this slideshow– so guess what? They get featured images here after my signature 🙂 Love you Kayla and Alison 🙂